The other essential ingredients are Kerrygold Irish Creamery butter, freshly cracked black pepper, a sprig of Dill and lastly a squeeze of lemon!
Smoked Salmon served on Brown Soda Bread
This is a snack that all Irish Cooks love to whip up in 5 minutes! The combination of Irish Smoked Salmon, on traditional Irish Brown Soda bread is a favourite in our Dublin cooking school, Ireland
Servings: 12 servings
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Weighing Scales
- Teaspoon Measure
- Pyrex Liquid Measuring Jug
Brown Soda Bread
- 200 g wholemeal flour
- 200 g plain white flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bread soda sieved
- 300 ml buttermilk
- 200 g smoked salmon slices
- 20 g Kerrygold butter
- 5 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp dill
- fresh lemon juice to taste
Baking the Brown Soda Bread
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and pour in most of the buttermilk.
- Using one hand with the fingers open and stiff, stir in a full circle, drawing in the flour fromthe sides of the bowl, until all flour is incorporated, and adding more milk if necessary. Thedough should be soft but not too wet or sticky.
- Turn out onto a floured work surface.
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Roll the dough around gently with lightly floured hands, just enough to tidy it up, then turnover. Shape into a 2 inch / 6cm thick (in height) pat.
- Sprinkle a little flour onto a baking sheet or line with parchment and place the bread on it.
- Make a deep cross in the top with a serrated knife, then prick the four quadrants with thesame knife.
- Reduce the heat to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 and bake for another 25 mins until bread iscooked. When it is cooked it will sound hollow when tapped on the bottom and you mayneed to turn it upside down for the last 5 mins and place it back in the oven.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Presentation and Plating
- After it has cooled, slice the bread into 12 slices.
- Spread Kerrygold butter on homemade bread.
- Drape each slice of buttered bread with with salmon and sprinkle dill and parsley.
- Squeeze on some fresh lemon juice to taste.
How To Video