- 200g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g self raising flour, sieved
For the Buttercream Icing
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 1-2 drops food colouring (whichever colour you wish)
- 2 tbsp milk or water
- Razzle Dazzles or Hundreds and Thousands
- 1 Muffin Tray
- Paper cases
Preheat oven to 180°C
1. Using an electric whisk, combine the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. Slowly add in the lightly beaten eggs.
3. On a low speed, add the self-raising flour.
4. Line the muffin tin hollows with paper cases and spoon the mixture into each one until two-thirds full.
5. Bake for 25 minutes until pale golden, risen, and springy to touch. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cool wire rack to cool completely before icing.
6. To make the buttercream icing, put the butter into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk (or wooden spoon, if you have a small quantity) until it is light and fluffy. Gradually stir in the icing sugar, vanilla extract, colouring and milk. Beat well until light and smooth.
7. Decorate each cupcake with the icing (if you have a piping bag, use it) and sprinkle colourful decorations over the top of each cupcake.
Here are some buttercream variations:
Orange, lime or lemon buttercream
Replace the vanilla essence with a little finely grated orange, lime or lemon zest.
Add 2 tbsp juice from the fruit instead of the milk, beating well to avoid curdling the mixture. If the mixture is to be piped, omit the zest.
Replace the vanilla essence with 1 tbsp instant coffee granules dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water, cook before adding to the mixture.
Variations for the Seasons
WINTER – Cinnamon with cranberries
SPRING – White Chocolate and Lime
SUMMER – Blueberries and Lemon Zest
AUTUMN – Pumpkin seed and praline (Colours: Orange / Purple)
These cupcakes are made on our Cute Cupcakes, Icings, and Cake Pops workshop. To learn how to make and decorate the perfect, prettiest cupcakes from our expert chefs, come along to our next one.