- 12 medium scallops, cleaned and trimmed
- 12 thin slices streaky bacon 250g baby spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil Dressing
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1tbsp red wine
- 150ml olive oil
1. For the dressing, place the balsamic vinegar, honey and red wine in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes until reduced by half. Chill, then blend in the olive oil. The dressing should be the consistency of honey. Surplus dressing will keep well, covered, for about 2 weeks in the fridge.
2. Grill the bacon until crisp.
3. Meanwhile heat the olive oil in a large frying pan. Season the scallops, then sear for 1-2 minutes without moving them. Turn and sear on the other side for 1 minute. Take care not to overcook them or they will become tough.
4. To serve: mix the spinach with two tablespoons of the dressing to make a salad, and arrange in the centre of each warmed plate. Place the bacon on top, then arrange three of the scallops around the edge of the leaves, and drizzle a little more dressing around the edge of the plate.