Cooks Academy Madeira Cake
Makes 1 x 8 inch cake
300g butter, softened
300g caster sugar
6 eggs, lightly beaten
300g self raising flour, sieved
Preheat oven to 180°C
1. Using an electric whisk, combine the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
2. Slowly add the lightly beaten eggs.
3. On a low speed add the self-raising flour.
4. Line two 8” loose bottom cake tins with grease proof paper and divide mixture between both tins.
5. Bake for 25 minutes until pale golden, risen and springy to touch. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes then transfer to a cool wire rack to cool completely before icing.
6. Optional: Flavour the cake with lemon, orange or vanilla extract.
For this recipe and more, please see our Cooks Recipe section on our website. For details of our upcoming baking courses, please see our website to learn about what we do on our Home Baking Workshop, Celebration Cakes, Cute Cupcakes, Icings, and Cake Pops, or Perfect Pastries.