A soup that is so comforting, and full of flavor as well as so many vitamins and nutrients! Students learned this recipe Day 1 of the 4 Week Certificate Course.
- Cut the carrots into fine dice/brunoise, match stick/julienne, large dice/paysanne and battons to practice knife skills.
- Cut one onion into dice/brunoise and the other into slice/cut for sauté. Dice and then crush the garlic with a pinch of salt and the flat of the chef’s knife.
- Cut the leek lengthways keeping the root intact and wash under cold running water to remove and mud or clay, separate the white and green, then slice, dice and julienne the white and keep the green leaves aside.
- Wash the celery and practice slice and dice.
- Heat a heavy based saucepan, add the veg oil and heat. Add the onions first, control the heat so they do NOT colour, only sweat to soften. Add a pinch of salt to extract the moisture from the onions this helps to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook gently for 2 mins.
- Add the carrots and raise the heat so everything lightly colours, stir occasionally allow the carrots to caramelize a little. Add the butter and herbs and cook in foaming butter for 4-5 mins. Control the heat do not allow to burn.
- Add the celery and white of leek allow to soften for 4-5 mins. Add the stock ensure all the vegetable are covered.
- Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer until cooked approx 10 mins
- Blend the soup until smooth and season to taste.
Enjoy with Brown Bread!
Check out all of upcoming Workshops, Classes, as well as more Cooks Recipes on our site!